Sunday, December 29, 2013

~Sharp Conversations~

While driving past Eamon's elementary school today...

Me:  <concerned> "Why does your school's bill board say 'Sharpen your saw during the break'?"

Eamon:  "It just means to stay smart."

Me:  "Really?  Like in what way?  Is it a play on the word "saw" as in the things you see and take in is what needs to stay sharp or..."

Eamon:  "It's your brain."

Me:  "Your saw is your brain?"

Eamon:  "Um, I don't really know.  It's confusing."

Me:  "Yeah, I'll say."

After doing a little Googling, I found out that to "sharpen the saw" is Habit #7 of Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, which the school district is all but having tattooed on everyone's foreheads. But what was funny to me is that another mom and I were just talking about this educational lingo that the teachers use on the kids and how they absorb it in a way that has nothing to do with the actual meaning of the word.  For example, the teachers keep telling the kids to be "proactive" in their behavior and now my friend's son thinks the word means to be quiet.  So now Eamon thinks that "saw" is another word for brain.  Awesome.  :P  




No comments:

Post a Comment