Monday, May 27, 2013

~Evolving Birthday Conversations~

Two weeks ago while at Publix...

Eamon:  "Oooh, Mommy!  Can I have that cake for my birthday?"

Me:  <looking for some supposedly-edible monstrosity of icing and toys and not seeing one> "What cake are you talking about?"

Eamon:  "That one!  The chocolate one with the hole in it!"

Me:  "The bundt cake?  The one with no icing at all, just some glaze?"

Eamon:  "Yeah!  Can I have that for my birthday party?"

Me:  <Not really believing that he could actually want something so simple for his birthday but going with it> "Um, sure, if that's what you want."

Eamon:  "Yay!"

Several days ago...

Eamon:  "Can we make the bundt cake for my birthday be a volcano?"

Me:  <Knowing he couldn't keep it simple> "Sure."

Eamon:  "And with dinosaurs?"

Me:  *sigh*  "Of course."

This morning...

Eamon:  "Mommy, I've got lots of dinosaurs that we can put on the bottom cake for my birthday."

Me:  "The 'bottom' cake?"

Eamon:  "Yeah, the small* cake on the bottom that the bundt volcano will sit on?  That's the one that holds it all together."

Me:  "So now you want two cakes?"

Eamon:  "Uh-huh and I think the triceratops should be on the top of the volcano."

Me:  *sigh*  "Of course."


*When he said "small," he meant a flat sheet cake.


Disclaimer:  We tend to keep the kids' actual parties fairly simple so we don't mind making a "fancy" cake - we've actually make similar birthday cakes for them before -  but it just cracked me up that his cake idea kept getting more and more elaborate. ;)  

I think he's looking for something like this...


Image courtesy of www.greatfun4kidsblog.com 






No comments:

Post a Comment