Thursday, December 6, 2012

~Library Conversations~

While driving home after a trip to the public library...

Eamon:  "I can't believe I got my first library card!  This is so COOL!!!"

Me:  <under my breath> "If I'd known how happy this would make you, we could have done this a lot sooner..."

Eamon:  "I can't wait to tell everyone about my library card!"

Me:  "Do you want to call Meema or Erica to tell one of them?"

Eamon:  "I want to call Meema AND Erica!  And I'm going to use it at my school library too!"

Me:  "Sweetie, it's not going to work there, only at the public libray."

Eamon:  "I want to try it anyway."

Me:  *sigh*  "Ok... Hey, sometimes school librarians have prizes or contests for students who get public library cards so maybe Ms. Ryan will do something like that at your school."

Eamon:  "Maybe... Mommy, I'm glad you're a librarian."

Me:  <feeling smug and pleased>  "Really?  Why do you say that?"

Eamon:  "Because you don't have to teach anyone anything."

Me:  <no longer smug and pleased> "Um, actually I do teach people things!  Research skills, how to find books, using the computer, stuff like that!"

Eamon:  "But it's cool that you don't have to teach them anything important."

Me:  *sigh*  "Right..."


I may have already failed as a librarian if I can't even teach my kid that I do teach important things to people... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment